Monday, July 19, 2010

Treehugger Tour

Simpson's grasspink in Big Cypress National Preserve (Calopogon tuberosus)

As you know, I have embarked on a two month long road trip across the United States. If you didn't know that, come catch up with these links:

Treehugger Tour Video
Tour Logistics
Approximate Budget
Map of Approximate Route
Potential Trees to See along the way (ever evolving map)

I just wanted to let you know that I recently made some edits to the Treehugger Tour Route Map to accommodate a trip to the Badlands in South Dakota and a slight dip into Colorado to pick up my traveling buddy, Rudy.

Thank you all for your support! The outpouring of interest in my trip has been amazing!

I am excited to announce that American Forests has agreed to partner with me on this tour to help me to contact the big tree coordinators, find the most interesting trees along the route, and help me to coordinate tree plantings to offset my carbon emissions. If you haven't already, I encourage you to take a look at their website for information about all the amazing things they do. I visited their office in Washington, DC this past week and I was very impressed with the organization. The National Register of Big Trees is only a glimpse of their efforts to "grow a healthier world with trees".

If you'd like to support my trip with care packages, a couch to crash on, or a financial donation, I'd be absolutely delighted! Drop me an email at heartkh at gmail dot com.

Also, if you'd like to be on the postcard list, send me your name and address in an email.

See you all soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a glorious photo - the flower is ------???
Wishing you an interesting tree time all along your trip.:-)
Mt

Unknown said...

The flower is called a Simpson's grasspink. I found quite a few of these on a hike in Big Cypress National Preserve in the Everglades ecosystem in Florida. They were really elegant and beautiful! At first glance they almost look like orchids. Here is a link for more information: http://florida.plantatlas.usf.edu/Plant.aspx?id=4106&display=photos

I'm having a wonderful time! I'm so glad you joined me for a bunch of the tree visits!