Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fish Sampling in the Bush River

So I realize I've been slacking quite a bit with the blog lately, but things have been picking up at home and work is going insane, so bare with me!

Anyway, a really great thing I've been getting into lately is this fish sampling survey with the Otter Point Creek Estuary Center. They are a really fantastic group of people that are dedicated to making the Chesapeake Bay watershed a cleaner environment for humans and the inhabitants of the bay. They have a ton of really awesome volunteer opportunities all the time, and I don't mean just your typical trail maintenance type volunteering opportunities. One that I'm involved in right now is the fish sampling survey in the Bush River that is specifically targeting variations in Yellow Perch spawning habits in the tributaries of the Bush River. What exactly does that mean? It means that I get to go along with this group of really dedicated and fun loving people every two weeks to do a fish survey. How do we do it? Well...we hope on a couple boats, do some seines and trolling and catch some pretty cool stuff like:

White Sucker
Here's a picture of my big brother, Erik, doing some of the seine netting. The net gets pretty heavy and this was a deep sight, so he was up to shoulder height dragging this net!

If you live in the area this is a great way to get involved, play in the water, learn about some fish right in our own bay, and have a whole lot of fun!

No comments: